The Customer service agents that answer the Texas Lone Start EBT card phone number are there to help you with questions regarding your EBT, P-EBT, or cash assistance card. Even though the Texas Health and Human Services (HHSC) offices may be closed due to the pandemic, HHSC employees are assisting people by telephone. In this post, we will provide the Texas EBT Phone Number to call for help with your EBT or P-EBT benefits.
However, before you call the Texas EBT Helpline, scroll below to see if the question you are calling about is already answered here.
This post will cover:
- Texas EBT Phone Number
- How to Speak to a Live person at Texas EBT Customer Service
- How do I replace a Lost or Stolen Texas EBT Card?
- Learn how to Reset your Texas EBT Card PIN
- What can I buy with my Texas EBT card?
- How to Check Texas EBT Card Balance?
Texas EBT Card Customer Service Phone Number
You can call the EBT Recipient Hotline 24 hours a day/ 7 days a week.
However, hold times have been reported to be very long, as many people are calling the Texas EBT Recipient to inquire about EBT benefits.
In fact, according to Google Call Wait Time information, the average wait time for the Texas EBT Card customer service number is 50 minutes.
To save you time and frustration, we have provided answers below to the most common reasons people call the Texas EBT Phone Number.
Scroll down to see if your question is answered below.
How to Speak to a Live Person at Texas EBT
Here’s how to reach a LIVE person at the Texas EBT Phone Helpline.
It can be frustrating to call the EBT helpline and find yourself speaking to an automated system.
Here is how you can get to a real person when you call the Texas EBT helpline:
- Call 1-800-777-7328 for assistance.
- Select your language.
- Press “2” to access Lone Star Card Information.
- Enter your 19-digit Texas EBT card number.
- Once you have entered your EBT card number, press “0” to be connected to a live customer service person.
- When connected to a live person, you can proceed to ask them your question or tell them about the issue with your Texas EBT Card.
Before you call the Texas EBT Phone Number
As we mentioned above, the Texas EBT Phone lines are flooded with phone calls from people trying to get details about EBT benefits.
Therefore, hold times are long when you call the phone number.
We have answered the top questions people call the Texas EBT Phone Number for.
Scroll down below to see if your question has been answered below.
How do I replace a Lost or Stolen Texas EBT Card?
Here’s how to replace a lost or stolen Texas ACCESS EBT Card:
First, If you suspect or know:
- That your Texas EBT card or card number has been lost or stolen;
- That someone not authorized by you has gained access to your EBT card or card number and PIN;
- or, That someone has gained information about your identity that may result in your benefits being stolen.
If any of the above is true, follow these three (3) steps:
The first step is to report your card lost or stolen. Here’s how:
How to Report your Texas EBT Card Lost or Stolen
First, you must immediately contact EBT Customer Service (1-800-777-7328) to report your EBT card lost or stolen.
When you call, you will be prompted to select your language.
Once you have selected your language preference, select “2” for Lone Star card information.
Next, you will be asked to enter your 19-digit EBT Card information.
If you don’t have your card number, wait a few seconds. You will be prompted to select “2” to report your card lost or stolen.
Once you make the selection, the auto-attendant will provide you with information on the card replacement process, including how long it will take.
Next, you will be asked to select “1” to speak with a customer service representative to complete the card replacement process.
Why it is Important to call the Helpline Immediately
Only by first contacting EBT Customer Service to deactivate your EBT card can you protect yourself against potential benefit theft.
When you call, the EBT Customer Service will deactivate your card so that no one else can use it.
You can also request a new replacement card to be mailed to you at this time.
If you do not have your card replaced, you may not be able to use your card at other stores to obtain your benefits.
A replacement EBT card will be mailed to the address they have on their system.
The new card will arrive in the mail within 5-7 business days. There is no tracking information for replacement cards sent in the mail.
If you have waited 7 business days after you called customer service and have not received your card, you should call the helpline for an update.
Here’s how to check on the status of your previously ordered EBT Card:
However, if the address on their system is not correct, you will need to have your local Texas Health and Human Services that manages your case correct the address before a replacement card can be mailed.
Your benefits will be protected as soon as you report your card as lost or stolen.
For more help getting a new Texas Lone Star Card, follow our Texas EBT Card Replacement Instructions.
How to Reset Texas EBT Card PIN
Here are the steps to select or change your Texas EBT Card PIN:
If you do not remember your PIN, you can select a new one by completing the following instructions:
First, call 1-800-777-7328.
You can pick your new PIN by calling any time, day or night.
Once you select a new PIN, the old pin will no longer work.
If you are unable to select PIN by phone, you can ask the customer service representative to send you a new PIN in the mail.
You will receive the new PIN in about 7 calendar days.
You will need the following information to select your Personal Identification Number (PIN):
- The 19-digit card number on the front of your Lone Star EBT card.
- The last four digits of the primary EBT account holder’s SSN.
- The primary EBT account holder’s Date of Birth.
How Do I Activate My Texas EBT Card and Select a PIN?
Here’s how to activate your Lone Star EBT card and select a PIN:
Before you can use your Lone Star card, you must:
1. Activate your card by calling 1-800-777-7328.
2. Next, you will be asked to select or change your PIN
- You need 4 numbers for your PIN.
- Pick numbers that are easy for you to remember, but hard for others to guess.
- If you already have a Lone Star Card PIN, you can keep it or change it.
3. Lastly, sign the back of your card. You will be unable to use your EBT card until you sign it.
What can I buy with my Texas EBT card?
Your Texas EBT Card can be used to purchase any eligible food items at approved locations that can be consumed or prepared at home.
Here is the list of eligible items you can buy with your Texas EBT Card:
- Alcohol Mixers
- Baby Food (for example, infant formula, cereals, juices)
- Baker’s yeast
- Bottled water
- Baked Goods
- Breads and Cereals
- Cakes that are more than 50% edible
- Cooking Ingredients
- Corn Husks
- Dairy Products
- Deli food (for example, cold sandwiches, subs, sushi, salads)
- Energy Drinks with a Nutrition Label
- Frozen foods (for example, Entrees, Frozen Dinners, frozen vegetables, and fruits)
- Fruits and Vegetables
- Gift baskets (if the value of food item is at least 50% of the total price)
- Ice (such as, cubed, bagged, or blocked)
- Ice Cream
- Lunch Meat
- Meats, Fish, Seafood, and Poultry
- Non-Alcoholic Beverages
- Nutrition and Dietary Supplements
- Organic foods
- Rotisserie Chicken (If it is in a cold display case)
- Slimfast, Muscle Milk, Ensure
- Soft Drinks (Soda)
- Sushi (deli packaged sushi to go)
- Uncooked Pizza
- Vegan foods
- Vegetable Plants
Please note, this is not an exhaustive list. However, we made sure to include our most frequently searched items by our readers.
What does EBT not cover?
Your Texas EBT Card can not be used to purchase any hot or prepared food item, as well as any non-food items.
Here is a list of items that your EBT does not cover:
- Beer, wine, liquor, cigarettes, or tobacco
- Soaps, paper products, cosmetics, grooming items
- Pet food (for example, dog food, cat food, etc.)
- Vitamins or medicines
- Food that will be eaten in the store
- Hot foods
Other Items you cannot buy with your EBT Card include:
- Cod liver oil
- Cough drops
- Crabs (cooked and hot)
- Dietary Supplements (for example, GNC, and most protein powders)
- Dry ice
- Energy drinks with Supplement Information labels (for example, 5-Hour Energy)
- Fertilizer and insecticides
- Flax oil
- Fountain Drinks
- Gift baskets (if the food part of the gift basket is less than 50% of the total price)
- Ice cream cone/sundae
- Livestock (for example, live animals or birds)
- Cakes (that are more than 50% non-edible)
- Toilet paper
How to Check Texas EBT Card Balance
There are three ways to check your Texas Lone Star Card balance.
Option 1 – Via Phone
Call the Texas EBT recipient hotline at 800-777-7328.
Option 2 – Online
- You can also check your Lone Star Card balance and view recent card activity through your online account at YourTexasBenefits.com.If you do not have an account, you can set one up by going to YourTexasBenefits.com, clicking “Log in” and then “Create a new account.”
Option 3 – Using the Last Transaction Receipt.
- You can also check the balance by locating your Last Receipt
What household changes do I need to report to keep my Texas EBT benefits?
In order to keep receiving your Texas SNAP EBT benefits, you have to report to the HHSC any changes that may affect the level of benefits you are eligible for.
You should report the following changes in your household situation to the HHSC:
- If anyone moves in or out of your SNAP household. Your SNAP household refers to anyone included on your Texas SNAP case.
- Financial changes like income, rent, savings, or child support.
- Changes to your address to ensure you receive important letters from HHSC. If your mail is returned to HHSC, this could cause your SNAP case to be denied or benefits canceled.
When do I have to report Changes?
Most households need to report changes within 10 days of the change, but this does not apply to all households.
Your caseworker can confirm which rules apply to your household.
Additionally, you can report changes online with a Your Texas Benefits account.
If you do not have an account, you can set one up by going to YourTexasBenefits.com, clicking “Log in” and then “Create a new account.”
Texas EBT Phone Number Summary
We hope this post on the Texas EBT Phone Number was helpful.
If you need additional help regarding Texas SNAP or EBT, please let us know in the comments section below.
If you found this article helpful, we encourage you to please share it with someone using the “Share this” button below.
In the meantime, be sure to check out our other articles on Texas SNAP and EBT: